Thursday, September 29, 2011

Week 6 – This Meditation

How much does our state of mind have to do with our participation in this play with art? For me, this most recent workshop felt like one meditation.

I arrived early as I do to set up the temporary studio space. It takes about an hour. Some times, as I lug the rolls of floor vinyl and fold out tables into our lovely old courtroom, I ponder the possibilities of the session ahead of me. This session was one of those days were I wondered how I would manage while I also wrestled with my own unease. Minutes before while walking through Bunnings to buy the weekly stock of cloth tape to hold down the edges of the protective floor vinyl, I wasn't at all grounded. In fact, it didn't even feel like my feet were on the ground at all! Fuzzy headed, I carried on – winging my way through the inevitable obstacle ahead. Denise, my priceless assistant walked in with a nearly identical state of mind. We carried on regardless, knowing at least sub-consciously that what we were setting up, we knew in our hearts was good for these people we work with. Never mind "US"!

"Anyway", (as I often say!), this week's participants turned up yet again with works under their arms, stuffed in duffle bags and zip top plastic sandwich pouches. Pride building, they were lined up on the long bench pews. The anticipation of the pending exhibition looms as I quietly start wondering how we can present these works without the expense of frames and conventional hanging methods. I guess this whole exercise is not all that conventional so one should be forgiven for having very limited funds for maybe some mat mounts at least.

This week I chose a slightly longer guided meditation. Chosen the night before, little did I know that we "ALL" needed this one today! In the past I have been concerned that if this part of the session stretched out too long, I would loose some people through the lack of attention span or what ever else that may hinder the process for some. The beauty of working within the old courthouse in Ipswich is that we are graced with the timeless benefits of the historic architecture. At the end of this lovely meditation, I opened my eyes to see numerous people in our circle completely immersed and bathing in the sunlight from the building's souring cathedral ceiling skylights. The meditation's core message was using the sunlight and a waterfall to cleanse away negative energy. That sort of Grace is amazing! This experience set the scene for the rest of the session, and it was obvious that we were all grounded again and in full control of our States.

The work on the collaborative mural was brought to a close today. We continued with meditative music, gently working forward elements of the piece in steel grey and white – stamping the work with it's personality. It was a bit sad to have to finish this mural up now but it was quite obvious it was at the end of this phase of its life – so be it.

Our plant studies on the mandala pie pieces came easy again. I'm so enjoying and not surprised to see the spontaneous nature of the work. The exercise around imagination has been fruitful here and I look forward to seeing this installation in place within the exhibition.

A couple of the more independent participants teamed up on another installation that I am particularly excited about. A quick excursion to Spotlight produced many safety pins destined to stitch together what seems to be a temporary piece – many sticky notes coated in beautiful oil colours engorged with linseed oil. Even though temporary because it may never dry, the gorgeous abstract chaotic colours glow when held up to the light. It's that moment while we can hold it there that is so good.

Again, it's the process that is important. The aesthetic meditation in that moment is what is so wonderful. Right now I'm in a good place while I am grateful for this.

I have no idea what we will do without our mural next week. 2 weeks to go before the exhibition! I'll come up with something I reckon!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback