Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Week 4 – "Amazing! – there is beauty in chaos"

Week 4 workshop has definitely seen the fruits or our labour; more wonderful artworks walk in the door; and a depth of enthusiasm that yet again further demonstrates the worth of this whole process.

Maybe it was the full moon from the day before but there was a different energy within the group initially. A few seemed withdrawn and then soon lightened up. The guided meditation was somewhat disrupted by outside noises but at the same time, the participants kept focus. My operation of a new ipod in dock facility experience (or lack of!) proved somewhat challenging to me at least when my drumming track blasted in immediately after the relaxing meditation. Upon my quick response to cull the inappropriate "noise", I still found the group happy to bathe in the sensation as a result of their meditation for a little longer before they continued on with the routine mural work.

It seems that the collaborative mural to music is providing a space for a sort of adventure through an amazing labarinth. As each person contributes, I am observing not only a complete dissolving into the now for each participant, but a collective energy shared. Watching the process of merging expressive marks; the teamwork; and the collective enjoyment of the ephemeral nature of the mural is awe inspiring. Each week the piece is shifting and changing into another direction; and because we are working in so many layers, the transparencies are mystical and alluring. No wonder the participants are having no trouble drawing out elements into form. Now that we are moving into warmer colours, the depths achieved are even more inspiring.

As the facilitator of this collective mural, the most rewarding part for me is receiving the feedback. One participant made a point of relaying to me her enjoyment while contemplating the mural in progress. The gist of her words were: "Isn't it amazing, that there is so much beauty in chaos". That statement to me acknowledges that this process is worthwhile. It is a rediscovery that allowing surrender to the process, allowing seeming "chaos" as a process; trusting that process, and that in that process there is a moment in the "now" and that it is safe there regardless – that there is "art" in all this. I think that is what we all are striving to experience as creative beings!

The later part of the workshop was taken up with a little more structure as we explored the discipline of drawing as a prelude to painting. As I demonstrated how I go about using different grades of charcoal to draw a still life, the participants quickly jumped on board using the same materials made available to them. Most had never picked up charcoal in their life. Like ducks to water, they were producing work as if they had been practicing many times before. Soon enough, my job was done (as mother duck!), left them to their own devises as I then threw in coloured pastels. Fearlessly following my dare, they chose colours for the most wonderful interpretations. Again, we harvested the fruits of our labour!

As intended, my drawing exercise then moved into a process of interpretation using imagination. The theme being: "If you were a plant, what would you look like?". Apart from some amusement, quickly we saw results, and quickly you could tell who's drawing belonged to who! An exercise similar to the paper bag portrait, the self of each participant was easy to see.

Next week we plan to use the self interpretation plant studies and transpose them onto a large mandala. Each person will have a cut-out piece of mandala pie to paint their interpretation. I have visualised this piece turning into what will resemble an iris of an eye. The pupil or centre of the mandala will be made up of a disc of clay tiles (being the earth). When completed, I intend for this piece to occupy the floor space of our exhibition.

I'm extremely excited to report that feedback from case workers has been positive so far. Yesterday, I was able to share with one of my participants, the challenge I have faced in shifting my life into this unknown territory. I explained that the past 20 plus years has seen me safely cooped up in my studio working as a self employed graphic designer and artist. The response from this person was so encouraging when she stated: "I can't believe that!... what you are doing here is awesome...".

I must say, this week was a stand out to me since I am also learning to trust the process; and I am, as every other participant, is in awe of the results we are realising by simply trusting this process together.

I can start to relax, and I am grateful!

Photos here show more snippets of the mural and some works on the side by some deeply engaged artists.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback